Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good.

The five day boat trip from Belem to Manaus was something I was looking forward to since the beginning of my trip and I dont think it could have gone better. Luckily when I was at the hostel in Belem I met a Brazilian guy named Gustavo who was catching the same boat as me. This was handy because it meant I had an interpreter some one to kick it with. It also meant only had to spend one night sleeping in a hammock because Gustavo had a cabin on the boat with two beds in it. This came in handy later on.

The boat was a crazy scene. It had three decks: the first deck was full of cargo, the second deck was were we slept and was absolutely packed with hammocks (people were literally sleeping on above and below each other), and the third deck was the bar and had terrible Brazilian music playing all the time. We spent most of our time on the third deck.

Gustavo and I were the most hated people on the boat. Gustavo is Brazilian but has light skin like me so we stood out a bit. On the first night we managed to upset the guys on the boat by picking up some local girls - it was gold. Since my Portuguese is pretty average all I had to do was sit there and drink beer while Gustavo did all the work. They thought I was quiet and charming. I got the girl and I couldnt even speak the language! Hilarious. Gustavo was the King though - on the five nights we spent on the boat he picked up three different girls. We had to take turns taking girls to the cabin. The locals kept giving us the hate look but we didnt care. Dont hate, congratulate.

While I was excited to be on the boat I have to say that it did get pretty boring. People either spent their time drinking or laying around in hammocks. Occasionaly we saw some pink dolphins (Im not joking and I wasnt high) and kids in canoes but the scenary didnt change and was mostly just water and trees so the novelty wore off on about day two or three. On day five we were well over it. The craziest thing for me though was seeing the people living on the banks of the Amazon. These guys were doing it hard. There were families with five kids in the middle of nowhere in little huts catching fish and doing their washing in the river. How they manage to survive is beyond me. Unfortunately I have barely any photos of this because my camera broke. Can you believe that shit? I have gone through two cameras on this trip.


The Bad.

Due to my incredible skills of procrastination I will leave Manaus without going to the Amazon. Its a long story but lets just say that because I chose to sit around drinking beer and talking shit instead of changing my flight I wont have enough time.


The Ugly.

Last night we were drinking at the hostel and my eyes started playing up so I put my beer goggles on and ended up pashing an ugly English girl. Not good.

So to celebrate this here is a track by Tha Alkaholiks. Actually it is two tracks - the first is called ``Likwit`` but the second one, my favorite, is called ``Only When Im Drunk``. Believe it.




So if today is Monday on Wednesday I have to go an pay my fine and sort out my visa, on Thursday I fly to Sao Paulo for a week, I leave Brazil on Thursday the 18th and get home on Saturday the 20th.

This post has been an effort. I think I have bloggers block. It took me about five attempts to get one that I was close to happy with. I hope you guys like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

whats up Walshdog? its Gabbo. cant wait to have a nice cold coopers with ya when you get back and tell us all the awsome stories yo got. probably see you on saturday

Anonymous said...

Hello...

I know Gustavo, the brazilian guy in the boat...

He is a little crazy :)

Well, good luck in your trip.

See ya.