Tuesday, March 24, 2009

De La Soul

I have been listening to De La Soul since I was about 13 years old. They are hands down my favourite rappers of all time. I remember hearing 3 Feet High And Rising for the first time as a kid and thinking it was shit! I was young though and a year or so later I couldnt finally get my head around it I thought it was awesome. To this day I always have a De La cd close to hand. I was extreemly happy to find out that as a 20th year anniversary they will be touring Australia and are bringing a 13 piece band and Cut Chemist with them. The 2009 tour will also be accompanied by the release of a limited edition 6 track EP of new material, produced in cooperation with Nike to mark the groups 20th year in hip hop. So that is a tour, an EP, and a pair of De La Nikes. Good times.


Taken from the Triple J website:

This year is the 20th anniversary of the release of 3 Feet High And Rising, a ground breaking hip hop record from New York's De La Soul.

The group are credited as one of the pioneers of hip hop with a positive vibe.

This week Dave aka Plug 2 told Dools that while battling was an important part of the developing of the genre, the bragging and boasting that went with it didn't suit his crew.

"For us, we always saw a different side of hip hop. There was a lifestyle and who people were outside of who they were on stage. And if that was you know, I'm at home washing dishes or I like watching cartoons or I have a little sister that's a pain in the ass, we chose to talk about those things as well."

De La Soul start an Australian tour in Perth at the end of April. They also play Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide and the Groovin the Moo festivals.

0 comments: